Self-Guided Historical Landmark Tour...
1. Jonesville – Jonesville Rd. half mile north of Muskegon Rd.
Currently known for its historical railroad bridge, this site was a
railway roll-off for timber into the Muskegon River
2. Meredith – M-18 in Franklin Township This site of intersecting railways developed into a town in the 1880s.
3. Surrey House – 125 E. Beech, Harrison Originally named the ‘Ohio Tavern” in 1879, this restaurant was the site of many deals made during the establishment of surrounding areas.
4. Spike Horn – Corner of E. M-61 & Bus 27, Harrison “Spikehorn” Meyers, renowned for bringing live bears to Michigan’s capital when lobbying the State Senate, raised
bears at this site. You can learn more about his life in the book
available at K.D. Quik Stop in Harrison.
5. Campbell City – 101 S. Main St., Temple Currently named Temple, this city was the site of early logging activity in the area.
6. Gerrish Railroad – Roadside Park on US-127 south of
Mannsiding Rd. between Clare and Harrison Named for Scott Gerrish, this site commemorates the first successful railroad in Michigan.
7. Cornwell Ranch – Cornwell Ave. half mile south of Mannsiding Ave. in Arthur Township A key employer of the early era, this ranch had a major influence on the development of surrounding communities.
8. Depression Era Art – Doherty Hotel, Clare Painted by Jay McHugh in 1932
9. Works Progress Administration (WPA) Art – Clare Post Office and Clare Middle School Under Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s New Deal Program murals were commissioned following the Great Depression. These are federally protected works of art.
10. Dover & Eberhart Rd. – Just south of Dover Rd., Clare
Originally named Crawford Settlement, the village of Dover was one of the first settlements in the area. It is now the home of the Clare County Historical Museum, Dover Schoolhouse and Ott Log Cabin (open Saturday afternoons during the summer).
11. Farwell Historical Society & Museum – 221 Main, Farwell
Sam Farwell was a man instrumental to railroad construction to
the area and director of the Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad.
12. Wilson State Park – In the City of Harrison
The park is located on the shores of Budd Lake. The Civilian
Conservation Corp. constructed the main park building in
1939 along with a stone residence built using rock from Clare,
Missaukee, and Gladwin counties.